The Packaging School
About the instructor
The Packaging School's mission is to provide accessible and applicable education on packaging and interrelated industries to a global audience.
The paper segment of the global containers and packaging market is the most lucrative, boasting a 40% market share of revenue. From Fortune 500 brands to emerging startups, paperboard is a top-used packaging substrate. It's no wonder because paperboard has amazing graphics and printing capabilities, a high degree of sustainability, and enhanced usability. As a packaging designer, marketer, converter, or supply chain manager it is beneficial to understand the ins and outs of paperboard in order to produce the best carton possible. This eLearning course will focus on helping you understand the foundations of paperboard packaging from sourcing raw materials to the finished good. This understanding will serve as an important context for your future advancement, on your own and in your company.
What You'll Do
- Watch entertaining videos. They're bite-sized (1-10 minutes).
- Practice what you've learned with interactive activities. We know it’s all about the real-world application.
- Engage in peer discussions. We believe in creating valuable connections between our community of packaging pros and like-minded learners.
- Set your own pace. Lessons are available on-demand so you can get the complete experience even with a packed schedule.
What You'll Get
- Complete access to 44 learning modules
- Cheat sheets to simplify selecting paperboard grades and designs
- Paper properties and testing guides
- Tube and tray structural selector programs
- Dieline design inspiration look-book
- Board caliper reference matrix
- Supplier database
What You'll Learn
After successful completion of the Paperboard Cartons course, students will be able to:
- Overview the paperboard packaging industry size and trends
- List the formats of paperboard packaging
- Understand the manufacturing process of converting raw materials to a finished substrate with coatings and treatments
- Identify paperboard grades and their specific applications
- Evaluate various properties of paperboard and how they contribute to a structure that passes testing standards and sustainability guidelines
- Create innovative packaging styles that are designed, printed and finished with maximum consumer appeal
- Establish the fundamental vocabulary required to communicate with stakeholders in the packaging development process
- Collaborate with suppliers to bring to life the paperboard carton envisioned